Healthy News April 2021
To the south of mainland Japan lie the picturesque islands of Okinawa, known throughout the world for their effect on longevity. Those who live here have extended lifespans; so much so that the islands have the highest proportion of people over the age of 100 in the entire world.
According to one study, two-thirds of centenarians lived independently until they were at least 97 years old. Okinawans are able to live such thriving lives due to low incidences of heart disease, stroke, cancer, and diabetes. (2) One of the primary health benefits of the traditional Okinawan diet comes from Seaweed, the most popular of which is Okinawa Mozuku.
What is Mozuku?
Mozuku is an essential product of the fishing industry in Okinawa Prefecture. Every April, as part of the promotion of the Mozuku sector, production and distribution officials embark on a campaign to inform consumers of seasonal Mozuku and the benefits of its consumption. The main feature of this campaign is”Mozuku Day”, which is held on the third Sunday.
99% of the Mozuku consumed in Japan is from Okinawa, and about 90% is farmed. There are two types of cultivated species: “Okinawa Mozuku” (also known as Futomozuku) and “Mozuku” (also known as Itomozuku or Hosomozuku). (1)
Benefits of Mozuku
- Mozuku is very low in calories and very rich in soluble dietary fiber. According to the Mayo Clinic, it can also help lower blood cholesterol and glucose level.(3)
- Mozuku is also rich in amino acids. Seaweed protein is the source of the amino acids glycine, alanine, arginine, proline, glutamic acid (immune system booster), and aspartic acid.(4)
Fig: Amino acids and their benefits
- The slimy part of the Mozuku strengthens the immune system and detoxifies the intestine
- Mozuku is also useful for healthy hair
- Mozuku is rich in vitamin K, which is essential for blood health. It regulates blood circulation and reduces the risk of coagulation while also lowering cholesterol levels.(3)
Easy Mozuku Recipe
Here are some simple yet delicious recipes that you can use to enjoy Mozuku:
Okinawa Mozuku Pancake (5)
Just mix the ingredients and Cook: For one serving.
Materials to prepare:
- Flour 100g
- Chicken stock powder 2 large tbs
- One egg
- Water 120ml
- Cabbage 150g
- Green onion 2 pices
- Small shrimp Appropriate amount
- Mozuku 100g~ 120g
Just Stir the appropriate amount (as your wish) of washed Okinawa Mozuku and your favorite drink with blending. Pineapple juice is the best match for Mozuku seaweed by Okinawa fisherman’s recommendation.
*Just for a reference, According to a fisherman, he used to weigh 90 kg and had trouble fishing. One day, when he suddenly came up with the idea of mixing fresh Mozuku with a drink and drinking it every day, he succeeded in losing weight to the 70 kg level in just a few months without any dietary restrictions. Since then, he has been drinking Mozuku smoothies.
Mozuku is a highly nutritious food that is essential for good health. You’ll notice the amazing benefits when you incorporate it into your diet. Some people find it hard to source fresh Mozuku where they live and instead can easily alternate it with Mozuku supplements.